Saturday, December 12, 2015

Buon Natale and Happy House Hunting from Guardia Sanframondi

Today I received the most incredible Christmas gift from my dear friend. Pasquale Orso. This lovely hand- made tile from San Lorenzello, is in Guardia, and waiting to be installed at the front door of my home!!. Thank you so much to Pasquale, Lilliana, Anna and Luigi Orso for everything you have done for me over the past years. I am eternally grateful for having you in my life. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! I hope to see you all this spring!
 




Later that same day, I was reminded by a recent post on facebook that it’s been 3 years since I arrived in Guardia, excitedly hoping to find my own dream home in a medieval Italian Village.. and not quite sure what we would find.



Three ago and the beginning of this crazy adventure. (and the beginning of a great friendship!)




..and just like that, I find myself spending the day dreaming about a little town in Italy called Guardia Sanframondi..



Ongoing renovations - pictures by Antonio Lucia Foshini

Phtoto by Antonio Luci Foschini

It’s unbelievable to think how much has changed in such a short amount of time.. in a town where nothing has changed for centuries.  Guardia is going through a period of renaissance and revitalization, with significant restoration projects currently underway in the Centro Historico. Outside investors, locals and the local government has started to appreciate and invest in much needed preservation works and deferred maintenance.


One of the most significant renovations going on right now is the restoration of the Church of St Rocco. (Chiessa di San Rocco).  This octogonal church from the 16th century has been closed to the public for many years.  I am beyond excited to see this treasure brought back to life!  

     
With 50 houses sold to foreigners in the last few years, it is impossible to think that such an incredible story of rebirth, and growth, could happen without growing pains, and differences in opinions on how this should best be accomplished.

What has made the magical fairy tale like story of Guardia possible, has been the countless, and mostly very disjointed efforts of many many people who all love this special place that want to see it restored and preserved to its full potential.. House Hunters episodes, blogs, facebook sites, government offices .. none of this existed 3 years ago.  The efforts of some would rival the efforts of an entire marketing department of a large company.

The amazing Galleria Pietre Vive (photo by Grazia de Mezza) supports a growing artist community in Guardia - simply stunning!


Studio owner and artist Carmine Carlo Mafei during a live event (photo by Grazia de Mezza)



The story of Guardia so far has been one of passion, determination and endless hours of hard work to ignite the embers of what once was a lifeless, almost abandoned ruin.  Having watched this story incredulously unfold before my very eyes has left me humbled, and incredibly inspired to continue to challenge myself in this life and to never be afraid to dream big.






Rumors of a new House Hunters episode will surely bring a whole new wave of house hunters to Guardia sometime next year. My best advice to the new house hunters is to find out all the information that you can from all of the available sources before you go.  The opinions and advice will vary and at times seem contradictory but each one has its own perspective and a truth in its own way.. I think it’s similar to other experiences I’ve had in Guardia, like walking down one of these beautiful cobblestoned streets...


 Some will notice the beautiful worn marble that can only get that way after centuries of use, the incredible patina of the buildings as they reflect a lifetime of smiles and tears.. and some will inevitably be drawn to the dog poop in the corner J .. it’s all part of the reality.  Get all of the opinions and advice and then form your own opinion. There is no one right way to do this.  Just know that once you get there, it is much easier to do than you can imagine.

A few things you should know..

House prices have gone up.. The $12,000 fully functioning house does not exist anymore! However, the prices are still very reasonable.

People in Guardia are generally honest.  I’ve met almost everyone that bought a house in Guardia.  The houses have sold through different individuals and different processes, but ultimately everyone I’ve talked to was happy with their home and felt that they paid a fair price.  I haven’t noticed that anyone got a particularly good price by negotiating really hard or putting the screws to someone.  That’s not really how they do business here and ultimately you end up offending people that will be your neighbors.. the best approach is to assume people are honest, but don't suspend common sense. Have a lawyer verify any documents you sign, and have an engineer evaluate the property if you’re worried about any structural issues. 

For me (and many others), everything has been possible because I had the good fortune of meeting Pasquale Orso and his family after staying at the Tana DellOrso, (owners of the best B&B in Guardia) on my first trip to Guardia.  Thoughout everything, Pasquale has been my advisor, project manager, and trusted friend. If it seems that I shamelessly plug the Orso family, maybe one day you will have the good fortune of meeting them, and then you’ll understand why.

The first of many nights that we would spend at this table at the Tana Del Orso!


I am very excited and optimistic to see what 2016 will bring to my life and to Guardia. I am hoping that above all else, it keeps its kind and quirky soul.  At this special time of year, I would like to wish all my friends in Guardia and around the world a very Merry Christmas, Buon Natale and a very Happy New Year .. and most of all the hope for Peace on Earth.

- Patsy 


Holiday Calendar of Events in Guardia this holiday season


No comments:

Post a Comment